Welcome...

Welcome to the place I come to complain about my psoriasis.
Please feel free to comment on any post, be it a response to something I've said or to share your own story/thoughts/advice/etc.

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Just a Quick Check-In

Hello, I know it's been a while but I wanted to post a brief update.

Since my last post, my skin had nearly completely cleared, and my UVB light therapy sessions had been decreased to once a week at half the light strength.  I am still doing UVB once a week.

As the cold, dry air set in for the winter, and stress picked up with school final exams and projects, as well as holiday stress, I have since gotten some spots that have been growing in size.  The spots are very thin, hardly flaky, hardly itchy, but are large.  They are located between my calves and knees.  I also have some small spots on my forearms.  Since I have been attending light box for almost a year, we have not increased the light strength or number of weekly sessions.  I am still using Triamcinalone no more than 2x a week.  My spots are quite dry and no lotion/cream seems to be helping.  CeraVe has been highly recommended to be, but at the cost of it and considering I can put it on at 3pm and look visibly dry by 8pm, I am finding it isn't worth it.  My dermatologist has suggested I use Vasoline or any other thick salve to help moisturize.  I have A&D ointment, so I started using that last night, though I hate smelling like a diaper.  I will certainly not be using A&D as a diaper ointment for my daughter!  I am opting to use Burt's Bees products for her.

I have informed my dermatologist that after the birth of my daughter (in less than 6 weeks!), I will be taking a break from UVB therapy to focus on motherhood.  Since I will be nursing, I will not be picking up an alternative solution.

I am still on the fence about the whole psoriasis-candida connection.  When my skin cleared up this summer, I was eating as I normally would, so if candida were the problem, wouldn't my psoriasis have resisted clearing up?  I love yeast breads and baked goods so I'm not giving those up unless I absolutely need to, and I'm not sure how necessary it is.

I should also note that I had continued taking the critical care probiotic for some time, but then got lazy, which runs hand-in-hand with when I started getting busy with the holidays and what-not and my skin got worse.  I just started taking a regular strength probiotic again (about a week ago) but when it comes time to buy more, I will be going back to critical care, to see if it improves my skin.  Clearly, I still wonder about a link between the digestive system and psoriasis, which is why I haven't completely ruled out candida as a possibility.

I know, I know.  I need to post photos.  I need to be blogging in a more regular fashion too, though I can't promise anything with the baby coming.  I know those first few months after birth are going to be busy and tiring.  I just keep my fingers crossed that since my psoriasis journey has been so difficult, I won't be passing it onto my daughter because I bear the brunt of it.

Hope to post again soon!

10 comments:

  1. Hello, I just wanted to pay some compliments because you sound like an extremely strong person. You have pretty chestnut brown hair and a nice body with cool tats but I think your best beauty is your personality and perseverance. I have had some difficulty with psoriasis for a few years and have felt so powerless to have any control. I have gotten frustrated with God for not at least guiding me to find relief when I pray for it but I guess we each have our tests in life and they make us stronger people. I think you are an tough gal and more beautiful than you know. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words. It's hard to feel beautiful when covered in psoriasis. Sometime down the line, I think I would like a leopard tattoo to represent my struggle with psoriasis. I appreciate your comments.

      Delete
  2. You seems tough. Be strong always and fight Psoriasis Natural diseases. Having your baby means more responsibility and means strength for you to hold and continue to fight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to be tough, but inside I'm afraid I'm an emotional mess. 'm forever struggling with myself.

      Delete
  3. I had psoriasis of the scalp and I really need to change my diet to make treatment affective and for faster recovery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fully believe the processed foods, artificial colors/flavors/preservatives, and genetically modified ingredients are extremely detrimental to the health of our nation. But that's a whole nother rant from me. I'm really passionate about it.

      Delete
  4. Hello, great blog! I personally have psoriasis as a result of candida overgrowth, but there are definitely other triggers it seems from what I have read.
    For a good, cheap soothing moisturizer I have used unrefined Shea butter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've recently tried coconut oil, but I'm not sure I'm seeing much a difference. It does soothe immediately though. I still have yet to fully follow through with the "candida connection." I wasn't about to do a candida cleanse once finding out I was pregnant, and now that I'm breastfeeding, I'm still holding off.

      Delete

  5. Psoriasis
    is tied to having a higher chance of having a heart disease and increased risk of diabetes. Regular check of diabetes is important for the treatment of psoriasis.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice thanks for sharing this article. you can also refer this Infant Phototherapy Units Suppliers

    ReplyDelete